Ten people lose their fingers every day because of table saw accidents, so it’s easy to see why someone might doubt the safety of this powerful tool. Table saws can be dangerous to use because they can kick back and have blades that are made to cut.
The fast speed and sharp blades of table saws make them very dangerous. When they are not used safely, accidents often happen. Even though a lot of people go to the hospital every year because of table saw accidents, the accidents can be less severe if more people know about and follow safety rules.
Being aware of the most dangerous parts of a table saw can help keep major accidents from happening. One more way to make sure this useful machine is used safely is to follow safety rules or buy table saws from companies that care about safety. Let’s get to know more about why are table saws so dangerous.
What Makes Table Saws So Dangerous?
It is the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the United States that keeps track of accidents that happen when people use table saws. In 2003, the commission said that table saws were somehow responsible for nearly 41,000 accidents.
There were some accidents where the person was hit directly by the blade, and others were caused by the “kickback” that can happen when you cut the wood.
You already know that serious injuries cause a lot of pain, both physical and mental. They also cost a lot of money to treat, take a lot of time off work, and cause trauma. Another bad thing that can happen when you don’t use a table saw right is that you can lose limbs. This power tool’s blade can easily cut off a person’s hand, which can cause a lot of problems in their life.
What Are the Possible Risks?
Let’s take a look at some possible risks that could seriously hurt or kill a person using a table saw:
Everybody trips and falls sometimes. However, terrible things can happen if you trip and fall while using the table saw. These kinds of accidents happen when the person operating the table saw uses too much force to move the piece of work through it, and then they trip and fall on the blade, which is moving at full speed.
Clothing can get caught in the table saw’s blade sometimes, especially if the person wearing them is wearing clothes that don’t fit well and are hanging off of them. And the body goes with the clothes when they are pulled into the saw.
Things like wood chips, nails, and sawdust can fly very fast out of this machine. A very small piece of wood is all it takes to cut someone or hurt their eye very badly. Almost everyone who has used this machine for years has had some kind of accident related to this one.
Getting Wet Wood:
It’s clear that you should never cut wood that isn’t dry enough. That’s because wet wood can slide, slip, and hurt you.
Blades that are Dull:
It’s easy for the person cutting the wood to get hurt when the blade is dull. A well-oiled, sharp blade makes the machine run smoothly, while a dull blade makes starts and fits that are dangerous.
The Precautionary Measures:
Before they start cutting wood, everyone who wants to use this machine needs to make sure they have taken the right safety steps. Here are some of these steps:
The Safety Glasses:
People who use this tool need to keep their eyes safe from the sawdust and possible bullets. Safety glasses or goggles can be worn for this. Another thing is the face mask, which covers the whole operator’s face.
Choosing the Right Footwear:
It is very important to wear boots or shoes that won’t slip when using the table saw. Being careful not to slip and fall while feeding the wood through the saw is very important. These shoes will keep your feet and body stable.
Standing in the Correct Position:
Most likely, every shot that comes out of this machine will fly in a straight line with its blade. That’s why you should never stand with your back to the blade of your table saw.
The Appropriate Blade Height:
It is possible to get cut if you slip while cutting wood if the blade is set too high. The blade should never be set more than 6 mm (0.23 inches) above the stock.
Even though it appears to be a simple security measure, it is actually a critical security measure. Avoid conversing with a friend or family member while utilizing the gadget; instead, concentrate on the task at hand. Turn off the machine, have a conversation with your pal, and then resume cutting.
Table Saw Accident Prevention Devices:
Here are some helpful tools that make it less likely that you will seriously hurt yourself while using a table saw:
A Pushing Stick:
A strong push stick can be very helpful for anyone who works with these kinds of tools. If you’re working on a tight piece of wood, this stick will help you get it through the saw. For that reason, you won’t have to get too close to the blade and might not get hurt.
Using a Dust Mask:
If you wear a good dust mask, the harmful dust won’t get into your lungs. This is something we think is very important for safety!
Making sure your machine’s blade is protected with a hood is very important. People who use the gadget will not be killed if they fall because they will only hit the hood and not the blade’s deadly teeth.
Who Should and Should Not Use It?
Anyone can use the table saw as long as they are responsible and ready to take the time to learn all the little tips and tricks. There are some types of people who shouldn’t use it, such as:
Some teens are very responsible, but that doesn’t mean they should be able to use this power tool. Only adults should use this machine because it’s very risky.
For simple cutting tasks, people who own this tool but have never used it should never even think about turning it on. It would be much smarter to ask a professional to do that for you.
People with Physical Disabilities:
For those who can’t use this machine properly because of their health, you will need to get help or have a professional cut the paper for you. Never use the table saw if you can’t hold the wooden board or stand up straight on the floor.
A Few More Safety Advice:
- Do not wear gloves. That’s mostly because they lose their sense of touch, which could also mean they lose their ability to grip, and because the gloves are loose and the blade can grab them.
- Do not do things that feel weird. If cutting something with a table saw seems silly, don’t do it that way; use a different tool instead.
- Don’t forget to use a stop block when you cross-cut short lengths. It will keep the cut-off pieces from getting stuck between the fence and the blade if you put it on the fence.
- When the blade is running, don’t reach over or behind it. It may seem safe at times, but it’s never really is. You don’t want to end up in the hospital.
- It is important to keep the desk as smooth and shiny as possible. You can see where this is going: if the table is rough and dirty, the person using it will have to push the wood through the saw with more force.
- Don’t let go of the item until it’s past the blade of the machine. You could get a kickback if you let go of it too soon. The blade could easily grab the part that hasn’t passed it yet.
- Before you start cutting, you should always look at the wood for screws, nails, and knots. As we already said, these things are very likely to become weapons and hurt your blade very badly.
- Don’t cut on your machine by hand. Use a miter gauge or a rip fence to guide the wood through the blade.
- There are clearance plugs that you need to use. There’s a chance that these things will stop the narrow cuts from reaching the lower part of the blade, where they would be thrown into the air. The clearance plugs also keep the wood from splitting.
- Things like piles of sawdust and cut-offs should not be on the floor because you could trip over them.
People think badly of table saws, but they don’t even deserve that. When used carefully and with full attention, these machines can be used for many things and can quickly make any do-it-yourself project a reality. Don’t let your guard down, and remember the tips above!
Bottom Line: Why Are Table Saws So Dangerous
Every time you use a table saw, you run the risk of injuring yourself if you don’t take the necessary procedures to protect yourself. You could get hurt by the blade, the kickback, and the materials that are ejected.
On the other hand, there are tried and true methods that can protect you against the adverse effects of using this instrument. At all times, protective gear should be worn. Gloves, safety glasses, and a robust apron are three items that should never be missing from your toolbox.
In addition, make sure that you have a teacher or an experienced coworker who can answer any questions that you may have about the correct way to use a table saw safely.
FAQs about Why Are Table Saws So Dangerous
How Can I Protect Myself From the Table Saw Injuries?
Preventative methods are abundant online and taught by skilled craftsmen.
Wear goggles, gloves, and a heavy-duty apron when using the table saw. You should keep extras in case your set breaks or you need to lend it.
However, safety goes beyond clothing. Many devices have safety features to lessen those mishaps and combat the inherent hazard of table saw components. You can buy saw blade guards or dust collection systems.
Why is a Table Saw So Dangerous?
The spinning saw blade and its sharp teeth are what make the table saw dangerous. You can’t get rid of either of these and still have a saw that works. So, if we want to make a regular saw less dangerous, we need to make the user less exposed to the danger that the saw’s blade poses.
Are Table Saws Dangerous?
Cuts and amputations are the most clear risks of table saws. You might also think that staying safe is as easy as not touching the blade. Table saws also have a much more usual risk, though: they can kick back.
- Top 11 Best Table Saw Under $500
- Best Hybrid Table Saw Under $1000
- Best Table Saw Under $1000
- Best Table Saw Under 400 Dollars
- Top 9 Best Table Saw Under 1500 Dollars
- Best Table Saw Under 300 Dollars
- Top 7 Best Table Saw Under 200 Dollars
- How to Cut a Taper on a Table Saw?
- Top 10 Best Table Saw Under 600 Dollars